Pension Plan FAQs

Pension Plan FAQs

The following are the most commonly asked questions by Members regarding the Pension Plan. If you would like detailed information on any of these topics, please consult the Pension Plan Booklet. If you still have questions after reading this information, please contact the Plan Administrator.

When should a retirement application be filed?

In order that time is available to review the optional forms of pension and complete the necessary forms, you must contact the Administrator’s office at least three months in advance of your retirement date to ensure that you receive your pension on your chosen date of retirement.

Who is my "Spouse" for the purpose of the Plan?

Your spouse for the purposes of this plan is:

• the person you married, unless you have been living separate and apart for a continuous period longer than two years; or

• a person who has been living with you in a marriage-like relationship for a period of at least two years.

How are the Pension Funds invested?

Several investment managers have been hired to make investment decisions within guidelines set by the Trustees. Updates about asset mix and the investment managers are found in the newsletter sent to members each June with the annual pension statement.

Will I receive a statement of my benefits from time to time?

Yes. Each year you will receive a statement of your benefits under the plan provided that you keep your address up to date with the Plan Administrator. You should review this statement to verify that your employer has made contributions that are correct based on your hours of work.

What should I do if I become divorced or legally separated from my Spouse?

The Family Relations Act sets out the rights of your Spouse to share in your pension benefits, and imposes responsibilities on the Trustees and the Administrator.

Should you find yourself in this situation, it is strongly recommended that you get legal advice. The Plan will charge you and/or your Spouse for reasonable costs for complying with the separation or divorce agreement, a copy of which must be filed with the Plan if your benefits are affected.

How does the Plan work?

The plan is governed by a board of Trustees – all of whom are appointed by the union. The Trustees have appointed the following service providers to assist in the operation of the plan:

  • the actuary
  • the administrator
  • the auditor
  • the custodian

Can the Trustees change the Plan?

The Trustees are permitted to change the plan, although no assets of the plan may be diverted to purposes other than for the benefit of plan members, their eligible spouses, and other
beneficiaries. You will be notified of any significant changes that are made.

How can I learn more about government-provided pensions?

Call Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914 or you can obtain the information on-line via their web site. If you would like further information on your Old Age Security (OAS) benefits, please visit:

If you would like further information on your Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits, please visit: